What Happened to My Hershey's??!!


Okay, I have never really been a super huge fan of chocolate. I know, I know, who doesn't love some form of chocolate?  Well for me, we didn't eat a whole lot of candy in my house growing up, so when we did, it made a lasting impression.  For a creative spin on some sweet treats, we liked to toast a slice of bread, smear it with butter while the bread was still warm, and then sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon. If you haven't tried it, you may be surprised.  Another thing we loved to eat was peanut butter and homemade strawberry freezer jam mixed together on a slice of bread.  You couldn't just put the peanut butter on one slice and the jam on the other,  you had to mix them together in a bowl then smear it on the bread, Mmm, not sure how, but mixing it made it taste better. I was also young and loved almost everything sweet. It does bring back memories just thinking about them. Speaking of remembering how good something tasted, I have a bit of a bone to pick with the Hershey Company. 

I have not always eaten a lot of chocolate,  but most can not think of chocolate in the USA and have Hershey's bars not come to mind.  The Hershey Company makes lots of candy and candy bars, they are everywhere. As a kid I remember my dad's side of the family having a "summer weenie roast", where we roasted hotdogs and ate s'mores after dinner.  Some great memories were made with Hershey's Bars. 





Just about a month ago I bought a 6 pack of plain Hershey's bars like I always do this time of year.   I wanted a little bit of something sweet after dinner that night and opened the Hershey's bar. Immediately I noticed something didn't taste right.  At first I thought it was me, like maybe what I had eaten or something I drank made the bar taste different, so I dismissed it for the time being.  A few days later, I opened another bar to share with my daughter. Once again, something tasted off, so I did what every curious person does, I asked the most trusted source of information in our day, "okay google,  why does my Hershey's Bar taste different?"

Guess what Google told me!! With multiple articles and many asking similar questions.  The recipe for Hershey Chocolate has changed in some of their recipes to include the iconic Hershey Bar!  They do not taste the same, I don't know how long it's been that way but I remember chocolate bars melting in your mouth when you eat them. Tasting more creamy and less waxy or oily.   The new recipe has it tasting like it shouldn't be eaten by itself. Like it would be okay on a s'more or with peanut butter but as for being eaten alone, yuck!! Even the texture is off!

But just so you know I am not in the business of creating a blog of complaints and negative opinions, I have found the perfect solution! Sometime after being upset about the yuck taste of the candy bar (about as upset as you can be over something as small as a candy bar:)  I am not sure why they did it, but they did, and I am very glad they did it.  While at the non self checkout line at the Walmart in Spring Lake, I looked over and just happened to glance upon a new looking Hershey's bar with light blue gray ends. On the label it said Hershey's Extra Creamy Milk Chocolate.  I was like , okay let me give this thing a try.  Lo and behold it tasted like I remembered a Hershey's Bar should taste like!

So for anyone who may have come across the totally different tasting chocolate Hershey candy, at least know they have made an adjustment with the creamier version and I am satisfied and hope you will be too. I do hope they decide to keep it around, the flavor does bring back the old Hershey taste memories!
 

Go out and get yourself one and see which one you like!


                                    
Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my post.

Comments

  1. Wish they kept the chocolate the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, everyone in my house is upset about this new Hershey recipe, it tastes waxy and chewy, not a fan at all. Thanks for sharing the one with blue ends now, I will only buy it cause it is the original. When are people going to learn, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Take the Cape!

Why this Blog?